girish@agnisdesigners.com +91.9921224499

Ancient Kolhapur

8
Sep

Friends,
While searching on the internet I found below photographs on http://www.europeana.eu website. These are rare photographs of kolhapur city. All these photographs are over 100 years old pictures taken by mostly unknown photographer. All these pictures are Copyrights of British Library Board.

I am sharing these photographs on single page so people can easily view these heritage pictures of kolhapur easily.

Thank you

Author : Girish Baraskar
girish@agnisdesigners.com
Agnis Designers

Entrance gateway to the old Rajwada Palace, Kolhapur

Entrance gateway to the old Rajwada Palace, Kolhapur.

Entrance gateway to the old Rajwada Palace, Kolhapur.

Title: Entrance gateway to the old Rajwada Palace, Kolhapur.
Creator: Photographer : Unknown
Rights: Copyright © British Library Board
Data provider: The British Library
Provider: The European Library ; United Kingdom

Description: Photograph of the entrance gateway to the old Rajwada Palace, Kolhapur from theLee-Warner Collection: ‘Bombay Presidency taken by an unknown photographer in the 1880s. In 1675 Kolhapur was conquered by the Maratha chief, Shivaji, and later inherited by his younger son. The state remained with the Bhonsales (one of the Maratha princely families) until Indian independence.This is a view showing the palace courtyard looking towards the gateway. The Palace has a central stone gateway and wooden pillars. There was a grand Durbar Hall on the second floor. The royal family lived here until Independence.


The New Palace, Kolhapur

The New Palace, Kolhapur

The New Palace, Kolhapur

Title: The New Palace, Kolhapur.
Creator:
Photographer : Unknown
Rights: Copyright © British Library Board
Data provider: The British Library
Provider: The European Library ; United Kingdom

Description: View of the New Palace at Kolhapur, Maharashtra from the Lee-Warner Collection: ‘Bombay Presidency’, taken by an unknown photographer in the 1880s. The New palace was built by the architect Major Charles Mant under the auspices of the Maharaja. Mant designed the New Palace which took seven years to complete (1877-1884) in Indo-Saracenic style. This building was built in grey stone around a central courtyard and exhibits a lofty clock tower. The interior was equally lavish, adorned with trophies of game and tiger heads, it contains several beautiful stained glass windows depicting the life of Shivaji which was the work of an Italian artist.


Old Ambabai Temple Kolhapur

Old Ambabai Temple Kolhapur

Old Ambabai Temple Kolhapur

Title: Ambabai Temple [Kolhapur]
Creator: Photographer : Unknown
Rights: Copyright © British Library Board
Data provider: The British Library
Provider: The European Library ; United Kingdom

Description: View of the courtyard of the temple with worshippers in the foreground and whitewashed shikaras rising in the background, taken by an unknown photographer in 1894 from the Lee-Warner Collection: ‘Souvenirs of Kolhapur. Installation of H.H. the Maharajah, 1894.’ The Amba Bhai Temple is the largest of several temples at Kolhapur in Maharashtra, western India. It belongs to the Yadava period and was built from the 10th century onwards, although it has been largely rebuilt. The main portion of the building is built of black stone from local quarries. The sculptures are set into small niches and the doorways are flanked by pilasters and pierced stone screens. The pyramidal tower was built in the 18th Century.


View of north-east corner of the Ambabai Temple, Kolhapur

View of north-east corner of the Ambabai Temple, Kolhapur

View of north-east corner of the Amba Bhai Temple, Kolhapur

Title: View of north-east corner of the Ambabai Temple, Kolhapur
Creator: Photographer : Cousens, Henry
Rights: Copyright © British Library Board
Data provider: The British Library
Provider: The European Library ; United Kingdom

Description: Photograph of the north-east corner of the Ambabai temple, Kolhapur taken in the 1880s or 1890s by Henry Cousens. The earliest parts of the Ambabhai Temple date to the Yadava period. The Yadavas ruled parts of the northern Deccan from their capital at Devagiri, near modern day Aurangabad, from the 10th century. Parts of the original temple are still extant while others have been heavily rebuilt, for example the pyramidal tower shown here was built in the 18th Century. The entrance hall is laid out on a stepped plan with a basement and eave mouldings, whilst the doorways are flanked by pilasters and pierced stone screens. Throughout the temple, sculptures are set into small niches. The most renowned section of the temple is a mandapa, or porch, situated in front of the Sheshagiri shrine….


Old Ambabai Temple Kolhapur

Old Ambabai Temple Kolhapur

Old Ambabai Temple Kolhapur

Title: Ambabai Temple [Kolhapur]. 27
Creator: Photographer : Unknown
Rights: Copyright © British Library Board
Data provider: The British Library
Provider: The European Library ; United Kingdom

Description: Detail of the exterior facade of theAmbai Temple, Koplhapur with worshippers in the foreground, taken by an unknown photographer in 1894 from the Lee-Warner Collection: ‘Souvenirs of Kolhapur. Installation of H.H. the Maharajah, 1894′. The Amba Bhai Temple is the largest of several temples at Kolhapur in Maharashtra, western India. It belongs to the Yadava period and was built from the 10th century onwards, although it has been largely rebuilt. The main portion of the building is built of black stone from local quarries.


Town Hall Kolhapur

Town Hall Kolhapur

Town Hall Kolhapur

Title: Town Hall [Kolhapur].
Creator: Photographer : Unknown
Rights: Copyright © British Library Board
Data provider: The British Library
Provider: The European Library ; United Kingdom

Description: View of the façade of the Town Hall at Kolhapur with some staff outside, taken by an unknown photographer in 1894 from the Lee-Warner Collection: ‘Souvenirs of Kolhapur. Installation of H.H. the Maharajah, 1894′ . In the late 19th century a number of buildings were constructed at Kolhapur in the Indo-Saracenic architectural style which was a fusion of Victorian Gothic architecture with Indian elements. It was developed at Kolhapur by the architect Major Charles Mant under the auspices of the Maharaja. The Town Hall was designed by Mant and was constructed between 1872 and 1876. The building has two spires and a steep roof, inside is a large central hall and gallery with two rooms on either side joined to the main hall by a spacious verandah in front. A fine porch with a terrace over it, j…


New Palace Kolhapur

New Palace Kolhapur

New Palace Kolhapur

Title: New Palace [Kolhapur].
Creator: Photographer : Unknown
Rights: Copyright © British Library Board
Data provider: The British Library
Provider: The European Library ; United Kingdom

Description: Carriages and attendants are pictured outside the New Palace at Kolhapur in Maharashtra from the Lee-Warner Collection: ‘Souvenirs of Kolhapur. Installation of H.H. the Maharajah, 1894′. In the late 19th century a number of buildings were constructed at Kolhapur in the Indo-Saracenic architectural style which was a fusion of Victorian Gothic architecture with Indian elements. It was developed at Kolhapur by the architect Major Charles Mant under the auspices of the Maharaja. Mant designed the New Palace which took seven years to complete (1877-1884). This building was built in grey stone around a central courtyard and exhibits a lofty clock tower. The interior was equally lavish, adorned with trophies of game and tiger heads, it contains several beautiful stained glass windows depicting th…


Raja Ghat, Rankala Lake, Kolhapur

Rajghat Tower Rankala Lake Kolhapur

Rajghat Tower Rankala Lake Kolhapur

Title: Tower at Raja’s Ghat, Rankala Tank [Kolhapur].
Creator: Photographer : Unknown
Rights: Copyright © British Library Board
Data provider: The British Library
Provider: The European Library ; United Kingdom

Description: View of the tower at Rajghat in Kolhapur, Maharashtra, south west India, taken in 1894 by an unknown photographer from the Lee-Warner Collection: ‘Souvenirs of Kolhapur. Installation of H.H. the Maharajah, 1894′ . The ghat is on the edge of Rankala Lake, a large body of water which has a circumference of two and a half miles and is situated south-west of Kolhapur. Rankala Lake was named after the god Rank Bhairav who is said to have been a great favourite with the goddess Mahalakshmi.


Courtyard of the old Rajwada Palace, looking towards the Rajaram College, Kolhapur

Courtyard of the old Rajwada Palace, looking towards the Rajaram College, Kolhapur

Courtyard of the old Rajwada Palace, looking towards the Rajaram College, Kolhapur

Title: Courtyard of the old Rajwada Palace, looking towards the Rajaram College, Kolhapur.
Creator: Photographer : Unknown
Rights: Copyright © British Library Board
Data provider: The British Library
Provider: The European Library ; United Kingdom

Description: View taken from a courtyard of the Old Palace or Rajwada looking towards the back of Rajaram College at Kolhapur, Maharashtra, from the Lee-Warner Collection: ‘Bombay Presidency’ taken by an unknown photographer in the 1880s. The college was originally built for Rajaram high school in the late 19th century and named after Rajaram II, seventh King of Kolhapur (r.1866-1870).


Wrestling matches in old Rajwada, [Kolhapur, watched by large crowds]

Wrestling matches in old Rajwada, [Kolhapur, watched by large crowds]

Wrestling matches in old Rajwada, [Kolhapur, watched by large crowds]

Title: Wrestling matches in old Rajwada, [Kolhapur, watched by large crowds].
Creator: Photographer : Unknown
Rights: Copyright © British Library Board
Data provider: The British Library
Provider: The European Library ; United Kingdom

Description: Photograph of a large crowd watching a match outside the Old Palace, or Rajwada at Kolhapur taken by an unknown photographer in 1894 from the Lee-Warner Collection: ‘Souvenirs of Kolhapur. Installation of H.H. the Maharajah, 1894′. Kolhapur in western India is famous as a centre for the traditional wrestling style, kusti and has produced several Indian national wrestling champions. Before a match the area was worshipped and after a salute the match began accompanied by instrumental ‘Halagi’ music to inspire the wrestlers.


Dancing Girl’s Tower Panhala Fort

Dancing Girl's Tower Panhala Fort

Dancing Girl’s Tower Panhala Fort

Title: Dancing girl’s tower [Panhala Fort].
Creator: Photographer : Unknown
Rights: Copyright © British Library Board
Data provider: The British Library
Provider: The European Library ; United Kingdom

Description: View of part of the ruined fort at Panhala from the Lee-Warner Collection: ‘Souvenirs of Kolhapur. Installation of H.H. the Maharajah, 1894′ taken by an unknown photographer in 1894. Panhala is situated in the Sahyadri hills about 12 miles north-west of Kolhapur in Maharashtra, western India. The fort was probably founded by King Raja Bhoja between 1192 and 1209. Panhala was one of the most important hill forts in the area and over the years had been in the possession of several different rulers. The massive perimeter walls stretch were over seven kilometres with three double gateways which were reached by long flights of stone steps. Within the fort there are a number of ruins like the foundations of the Old Palace and large stone granaries. In this view we can see the ruins of the courte…


Tin Darvaja [Darwaza], Panala

Tin Darvaja [Darwaza], Panala

Tin Darvaja [Darwaza], Panala

Title: Tin Darvaja [Darwaza], Panala.
Creator: Photographer : Unknown
Rights: Copyright © British Library Board
Data provider: The British Library
Provider: The European Library ; United Kingdom

Description: View of the Tin Darwaza or Three-doored gate at Panhala from the Lee-Warner Collection: ‘Souvenirs of Kolhapur. Installation of H.H. the Maharajah, 1894′ taken by an unknown photographer in 1894. Panhala is situated in the Sahyadri hills about 12 miles north-west of Kolhapur in Maharashtra, western India. The fort was probably founded by King Raja Bhoja between 1192 and 1209. Panhala


Road to Panhala

Road to Panala

Road to Panhala

Title: Road to Panhala.
Creator: Photographer : Unknown
Rights: Copyright © British Library Board
Data provider: The British Library
Provider: The European Library ; United Kingdom

Description: Road scene on a hillside, Panhala, from the Lee-Warner Collection: ‘Souvenirs of Kolhapur. Installation of H.H. the Maharajah, 1894′ taken by an unknown photographer in 1894. Panhala is situated in the Sahyadri hills about 12 miles north-west of Kolhapur in Maharashtra, western India. The Panhala fort was probably founded by King Raja Bhoja between 1192 and 1209. Panhala was one of the most important hill forts in the area and over the years had been in the possession of several different rulers.


Shivaji Bridge over Panchganga River at Brahmapuri Kolhapur

Shivaji Bridge over Panchganga River at Brahmapuri Kolhapur

Shivaji Bridge over Panchganga River at Brahmapuri Kolhapur

Title: Shivaji Bridge over Panchganga River at Brahmapuri [Kolhapur].
Creator: Photographer : Unknown
Rights: Copyright © British Library Board
Data provider: The British Library
Provider: The European Library ; United Kingdom

Description: View showing people and cattle bathing in the Panchganga River near Kolhapur in from the Lee-Warner Collection: ‘Souvenirs of Kolhapur. Installation of H.H. the Maharajah, 1894′ taken by an unknown photographer in 1894. The Shivaji Bridge, seen in the background is a stone masonry structure with five arches, built between 1874 and 1878; it is 411 feet long and its height is 69 feet above the bed of the river.


Sandhya Math, Rankala Lake Kolhapur

Sandhya Math, Rankala Lake Kolhapur

Sandhya Math, Rankala Lake Kolhapur

Title: Sandhya Math, Rankala Tank [Kolhapur].
Creator: Photographer : Unknown
Rights: Copyright © British Library Board
Data provider: The British Library
Provider: The European Library ; United Kingdom

Description: View of Sandhya math, Rankala tank in Kolhapur, taken in 1894 by an unknown photographer from the Lee-Warner Collection: ‘Souvenirs of Kolhapur. Installation of H.H. the Maharajah, 1894′. Sandhya math on the northern bank of Rankala lake is a structure of stone columns with a stone slab forming a big hall. It is almost fully submerged during the monsoon season and fully seen in summer when the water is at its lowest. Rankala was named after the god Rank Bhairav who is said to have been a great favourite with the goddess Mahalakshmi and to have a gold temple, now submerged underwater. It lies to the south-west of the city of Kolhapur and has an area of three miles with a depth of 35 feet when full.


Wrestling matches in old Rajwada, [Kolhapur, watched by large crowds including the Maharaja]

Wrestling matches in old Rajwada, [Kolhapur, watched by large crowds including the Maharaja]

Wrestling matches in old Rajwada, [Kolhapur, watched by large crowds including the Maharaja]

Title: Wrestling matches in old Rajwada, [Kolhapur, watched by large crowds including the Maharaja].
Creator: Photographer : Unknown
Rights: Copyright © British Library Board
Data provider: The British Library
Provider: The European Library ; United Kingdom

Description:View showing a crowd with the Maharaja of Kolhapur, with attendants and officials watching a wrestling match taken by an unknown photographer in 1894 from the Lee-Warner collection taken on the occasion of the installation of His Highness Shahu Chhatrapati (1875-1922), the Maharaja of Kolhapur. Maharaja Shahu Chhatrapati was descended from the younger son of Shivaji, the founder of the Maratha empire. Shahu Chhatrapati (r.1884-1922) succeeded to the throne as a minor on 17 March 1884, the country was ruled by regents until 1894 when the Maharaja came of age. Kolhapur is famous as a centre for the traditional wrestling style, kusti and has produced several Indian national wrestling champions.


Vishalgad Chief’s Wada Kolhapur

Vishalgad Chief's Wada Kolhapur

Vishalgad Chief’s Wada Kolhapur

Title: Vishalgad Chief’s Wada [Kolhapur].
Creator: Photographer : Unknown
Rights: Copyright © British Library Board
Data provider: The British Library
Provider: The European Library ; United Kingdom

Description: Photograph from the Lee-Warner Collection: ‘Souvenirs of Kolhapur. Installation of H.H. the Maharajah, 1894′, taken by an unknown photographer in 1894. Vishalgarh was a feudatory to the state of Kolhapur. This is a view of the palace of the Chief of Vishalgarh in Kolhapur state.


Rajaram College Kolhapur

Rajaram College Kolhapur

Rajaram College Kolhapur

Title: Rajaram College [Kolhapur].
Creator: Photographer : Unknown
Rights: Copyright © British Library Board
Data provider: The British Library
Provider: The European Library ; United Kingdom

Description: Photograph of the Rajaram College, Kolahpur taken in 1894 by an unknown photographer from the Lee-Warner Collection: ‘Souvenirs of Kolhapur. Installation of H.H. the Maharajah, 1894.’ The college was originally built for Rajaram High School in the late 19th century and named after Rajaram II, seventh King of Kolhapur (r.1866-1870). It was built in Indo-Saracenic style, which was a fusion of Victorian Gothic architecture with Indian elements.


Panchganga Ghat River, Kolhapur

Panchganga Ghat River, Kolhapur

Panchganga Ghat River, Kolhapur

Title: Ghat, Panchgunga River [Kolhapur]. 29
Creator: Photographer : Unknown
Rights: Copyright © British Library Board
Data provider: The British Library
Provider: The European Library ; United Kingdom

Description: River scene showing bathers at a ghat on the Panchagana River to the west of the city of Kolhapur in Maharashtra from the Lee-Warner Collection: ‘Souvenirs of Kolhapur. Installation of H.H. the Maharajah, 1894′ taken by an unknown photographer in 1894 . Near this ghat there are numerous temples including some which are submerged in the river. On the bank is an enclosure where members of the royal family are cremated and many temples dedicated the family including Shivaji III, Aba Saheb and Babasaheb. Of these the biggest is the temple of Shivaji III built 1815 which contains some beautiful carvings.


Panchganga Ghat River, Kolhapur

Panchganga Ghat River, Kolhapur

Panchganga Ghat River, Kolhapur

Title: Ghat, Panchgunga River [Kolhapur]. 31
Creator: Photographer : Unknown
Rights: Copyright © British Library Board
Data provider: The British Library
Provider: The European Library ; United Kingdom

Description: River scene showing bathers at a ghat on the Panchaganga River to the west of the city of Kolhapur in Maharashtra from the Lee-Warner Collection: ‘Souvenirs of Kolhapur. Installation of H.H. the Maharajah, 1894′ taken by an unknown photographer in 1894 . Near this ghat there are numerous temples including some which are submerged in the river. On the bank is an enclosure where members of the royal family are cremated and many temples dedicated the family including Shivaji III, Aba Saheb and Babasaheb. Of these the biggest is the temple of Shivaji III built 1815 which contains some beautiful carvings.


Entrance Gateway to the Old Rajwada Palace, Kolhapur

Entrance Gateway to the Old Rajwada Palace, Kolhapur

Entrance Gateway to the Old Rajwada Palace, Kolhapur

Title: Entrance gateway to the old Rajwada Palace, Kolhapur.
Creator: Photographer : Unknown
Rights: Copyright © British Library Board
Data provider: The British Library
Provider: The European Library ; United Kingdom

Description: Photograph of the entrance gateway to the old Rajwada Palace, Kolhapur from theLee-Warner Collection: ‘Bombay Presidency taken by an unknown photographer in the 1880s. In 1675 Kolhapur was conquered by the Maratha chief, Shivaji, and later inherited by his younger son. The state remained with the Bhonsales (one of the Maratha princely families) until Indian independence.This is a view showing the palace courtyard looking towards the gateway. The Palace has a central stone gateway and wooden pillars. There was a grand Durbar Hall on the second floor. The royal family lived here until Independence.


Crowds in the courtyard in front of the entrance gateway to the old Rajwada Palace, Kolhapur

Crowds in the courtyard in front of the entrance gateway to the old Rajwada Palace, Kolhapur

Crowds in the courtyard in front of the entrance gateway to the old Rajwada Palace, Kolhapur

Title: Crowds in the courtyard in front of the entrance gateway to the old Rajwada Palace, Kolhapur.
Creator: Photographer : Unknown
Rights: Copyright © British Library Board
Data provider: The British Library
Provider: The European Library ; United Kingdom

Description: Photograph of the entrance gateway to the Rajwada Palace,Kolhapur from the Lee-Warner Collection: ‘Bombay Presidency’ taken by an unknown photographer in the 1880s. Situated on the banks of the river Panchaganga, Kolhapur had been ruled by the Yadava dynasty between the 10th and 13th centuries, it later came under Mughal rule. In 1675 the town was conquered by the Maratha chief, Shivaji, and later inherited by his younger son. The state remained with the Bhonsales (one of the Maratha princely families) until Indian independence. This view shows private apartments surrounding the courtyard of the Rajwada or Old Palace and in the background, the chattra of Rajaram College. The Old Palace was where the royal family lived until independence.


Nagarkhana or Palace Gateway Opp. Side, Kolhapur

Nagarkhana or Palace Gateway Opp. Side, Kolhapur

Nagarkhana or Palace Gateway Opp. Side, Kolhapur

Title: Nagarkhana or Palace gateway, Kolhapur
Creator: Photographer : Cousens, Henry
Rights: Copyright © British Library Board
Data provider: The British Library
Provider: The European Library ; United Kingdom

Description: Photograph of the Nagarkhana or palace gateway, Kolhapur taken by Henry Cousens in 1890. The Nagarkhana, (now known as Naggar Khana) means ‘music gallery’. Shortly after this photograph was taken, it was described in the Bombay list, p. 284: ”…the main entrance to the old palace, and stands about 40 yards north from it. It is built of black stone, and was erected between 1832 and 1837. It is in modern Musalman style, with pieces of old carving from Jain bastis [temples] inserted here and there..” Beyond the entrance lies what is known as the palace square. On one side of the square lies the old palace, which was badly damaged due to a fire in 1810. On the other sides of the square are the armoury and the Amba Bai temple. The latter probably dates to the tenth century, when Kolhapur was …


Ambabai Temple, Kolhapur, Bombay Presidency

Ambabai Temple, Kolhapur, Bombay Presidency

Ambabai Temple, Kolhapur, Bombay Presidency

Title: Ambabai Temple, Kolhapur, Bombay Presidency.
Creator:Photographer : Unknown
Rights: Copyright © British Library Board
Data provider: The British Library
Provider: The European Library ; United Kingdom

Description: View looking over the rooftops towards the white spires of the Ambabai Temple, from the Lee-Warner Collection: ‘Bombay Presidency’ taken by an unknown photographer in the 1880s. The Amba Bai Temple is the largest of several temples at Kolhapur in Maharashtra, western India. It belongs to the Yadava period and was built from the 10th century onwards, although it has been largely rebuilt. The main portion of the building is built of black stone from local quarries. The sculptures of the temple are set into small niches and the doorways are flanked by pilasters and pierced stone screens. The pyramidal tower was built in the 18th century.


View of south-east corner of the Ambabai Temple, Kolhapur

View of south-east corner of the Ambabai Temple, Kolhapur

View of south-east corner of the Ambabai Temple, Kolhapur

Title: View of south-east corner of the Amba Bhai Temple, Kolhapur
Creator: Photographer : Cousens, Henry
Rights: Copyright © British Library Board
Data provider: The British Library
Provider: The European Library ; United Kingdom

Description: Photograph of the south-east corner of the Amba Bhai temple, Kolhapur taken in the 1880s or 1890s by Henry Cousens. The earliest parts of the Amba Bhai Temple date to the Yadava period. The Yadavas ruled parts of the northern Deccan from their capital at Devagiri, near modern day Aurangabad, from the 10th century. Parts of the original temple are still extant while others have been heavily rebuilt, for example a pyramidal tower was built in the 18th Century. The entrance hall is laid out on a stepped plan with a basement and eave mouldings whilst the doorways are flanked by pilasters and pierced stone screens. Throughout the temple, sculptures are set into small niches. The most renowned section of the temple is a mandapa, or porch, situated in front of the Sheshagiri shrine. It is known f…


View of south-west corner of the Ambabai Temple, Kolhapur

View of south-west corner of the Ambabai Temple, Kolhapur

View of south-west corner of the Ambabai Temple, Kolhapur

Title: View of south-west corner of the Amba Bhai Temple, Kolhapur
Creator: Photographer : Cousens, Henry
Rights: Copyright © British Library Board
Data provider: The British Library
Provider: The European Library ; United Kingdom

Description: Photograph of the Amba Bhai temple, Kolhapur taken in the 1880s or 1890s by Henry Cousens. The earliest parts of the Amba Bhai Temple date to the Yadava period. The Yadavas ruled parts of the northern Deccan from their capital at Devagiri, near modern day Aurangabad, from the 10th century. Parts of the original temple are still extant while others have been heavily rebuilt, for example a pyramidal tower was built in the 18th Century. The entrance hall is laid out on a stepped plan with a basement and eave mouldings whilst the doorways are flanked by pilasters and pierced stone screens. Throughout the temple, sculptures are set into small niches. The most renowned section of the temple is a mandapa, or porch, situated in front of the Sheshagiri shrine. It is known for its ceiling, which was…


Albert Edward Hospital Kolhapur (Chh. Pramilaraje Rugnalaya [CPR])

Albert Edward Hospital Kolhapur (Chh. Pramilaraje Rugnalaya [CPR])

Albert Edward Hospital Kolhapur (Chh. Pramilaraje Rugnalaya [CPR])

Title: Albert Edward Hospital [Kolhapur].
Creator: Photographer : Unknown
Rights: Copyright © British Library Board
Data provider: The British Library
Provider: The European Library ; United Kingdom

Description: Photograph of the Albert Edward Hospital, Kolhapur from the from the Lee-Warner Collection: ‘Souvenirs of Kolhapur. Installation of H.H. the Maharajah, 1894′. The Albert Edward hospital was situated on the Bhausingji Road near the old Queen’s or Rani Circle at Kolhapur in Maharashtra. In the late 19th century a number of buildings such as this one were constructed at Kolhapur in the Indo-Saracenic architectural mode which was a fusion of Victorian Gothic architecture with Indian elements. It was developed at Kolhapur by the architect Major Charles Mant under the auspices of the Maharaja. The hospital was designed by Mant and constructed between 1881 and 1884. It is a two storeyed structure with a small portion behind the porch at the entrance rising up to three or four storeys. This portio…

 

 

Ancient Kolhapur | Old Photos of Kolhapur

Ancient Kolhapur | Old Photos of Kolhapur


Ancient Kolhapur | Old Photos of Kolhapur

Ancient Kolhapur | Old Photos of Kolhapur


Ancient Kolhapur | Old Photos of Kolhapur

Ancient Kolhapur | Old Photos of Kolhapur


Ancient Kolhapur | Old Photos of Kolhapur

Ancient Kolhapur | Old Photos of Kolhapur


Ancient Kolhapur | Old Photos of Kolhapur

Ancient Kolhapur | Old Photos of Kolhapur


Ancient Kolhapur | Old Photos of Kolhapur

Ancient Kolhapur | Old Photos of Kolhapur


Ancient Kolhapur | Old Photos of Kolhapur

Ancient Kolhapur | Old Photos of Kolhapur


Ancient Kolhapur | Old Photos of Kolhapur

Ancient Kolhapur | Old Photos of Kolhapur


Ancient Kolhapur | Old Photos of Kolhapur

Ancient Kolhapur | Old Photos of Kolhapur


Ancient Kolhapur | Old Photos of Kolhapur

Ancient Kolhapur | Old Photos of Kolhapur


Ancient Kolhapur | Old Photos of Kolhapur

Ancient Kolhapur | Old Photos of Kolhapur


Ancient Kolhapur | Old Photos of Kolhapur

Ancient Kolhapur | Old Photos of Kolhapur

Ancient Kolhapur | Old Photos of Kolhapur

Ancient Kolhapur | Old Photos of Kolhapur

Ancient Kolhapur | Old Photos of Kolhapur


Ancient Kolhapur | Old Photos of Kolhapur

Ancient Kolhapur | Old Photos of Kolhapur


Ancient Kolhapur | Old Photos of Kolhapur

Ancient Kolhapur | Old Photos of Kolhapur